School:Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering
- 1 CAMPUS OVERVIEW
- 2 PROMOTING STUDENT INNOVATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- 3 ENCOURAGING FACULTY INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- 4 ACTIVELY SUPPORTING THE UNIVERSITY TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER FUNCTION
- 5 FACILITATING UNIVERSITY-INDUSTRY COLLABORATION
- 6 ENGAGING WITH REGIONAL AND LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS
- 7 Related Links
PROMOTING STUDENT INNOVATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
VVCE offers an impressive array of educational programs and options inclusive of some of the best engineering divisions. It supports the students not only in terms of academics but also in overall personality development. To make sure that students are clear about their fundamentals, VVCE provides a plethora of subjects and extracurricular and co-curricular activities which improve the I&E. The institution also encourages the students to participate in various clubs and extracurricular activities to improve the all-round development of the students. During the 21 days induction program for the freshman students, separate slots are provided for all the clubs so that the students have a better idea about the different aspects of the institution. It also permits students to make use of laboratories 24/7.
- Open Source Lab which is a 24/7 access lab for students who are interested in learning and implementing their ideas on projects.
- V Innovate' is one of the peer tutoring organisation which is currently associated with CL Educate Research.
- 'E-Yantra' is a platform for students to enhance their practical knowledge.
- 'Pixel Hut' is the club which captures the magical moments of the event in the college.
- 'AutoMatrix' is a community which supports mechanical growth.
- 'BookAds' is a community for readers to gather and ponder on the fiction & discuss reality.
- 'TEDxVVCE' is a program where ideas worth spreading across the globe are given exposure to inspiring the students to work towards improving themselves and their community,
- 'Google Developer Student Club' is a club which gives students a platform to grow their knowledge of developer technologies and more through peer-to-peer workshops and events and gain relevant industry experience.
- ‘Aspera’ the Entrepreneurship-cell of the college conducts various events related to entrepreneurship and gives a path for students to explore the same.
- 'Institution Innovation Council' is an initiative by the Government of India to systematically foster the culture of Innovation among all Higher Education Institutions.
- 'IUCEE Student Chapteris a student community which aims to aid the society with emerging technology with sustainable development.
- 'Society Of Automative Engineers (SAE)'is a community which supports innovation in mechanical engineering.
- 'Vrutanth' is a club which educates the students about nature and creates an awareness of the importance of wildlife.
- 'Toastmasters' which provides a great platform for the students to develop their leadership and public speaking skills.
- ‘Incubation centre’ where the college allows students to have their experience in startup and entrepreneurship.
It also aims to provide various training programs to its students so that they are well versed in communication, interpersonal and intrapersonal skills. Trainers from across the country and affiliated with premier institutions come and train the students in the above-mentioned areas every week. Few training programs are-
Other facilities provided by the college for improving innovation and entrepreneurship outcomes are -
- 'Mini Project competitions which are held twice a year to make sure students come up with solutions to the problems in an effective way.
- Encouraging student innovation by introducing Undergraduate Research.
- Idea presentation and Paper presentations.
- Inter College and Inter Department Competitions
Academically, subjects like Elements of Mechanical Engineering, Programming in C and Data structures, Basic Electrical Engineering, Elements of Civil Engineering, Basic Electronics and Basic Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Maths) are taught to the first year students to strengthen their foundation. There are courses like Software Engineering, Entrepreneurship and Management and Social Innovation which are very informative courses required by an individual who aspires to be an entrepreneur. The MBA the department also provides various courses and helps budding managers and entrepreneurs.
ENCOURAGING FACULTY INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
The faculties at VVCE are also encouraged in innovation and entrepreneurship. They are encouraged to attend workshops, seminars, etc. and later share their learning experience and concepts with the other faculties and students as well. Research, idea generation and paper presentation are given priority and the management ensures flexible working hours for those doing research. The main idea is to improve faculty experience and encourage them to come up with solutions of problems.
The faculties at Vidyavardhaka are also encouraged to attend national and international events related to their areas of interest so that they gain required learning outcomes. Faculty Development Programs (FDP) are conducted regularly to enhance the skills of all the faculties. Faculties are also encouraged for project mentorship.
The previous cohort of the University Innovation Fellows conducted a Design Thinking Workshop for the all the faculty members of the institution with positive attendance and feedback from the faculty.
ACTIVELY SUPPORTING THE UNIVERSITY TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER FUNCTION
The university technology transfer function provided to the students at VVCE consists of
- Wurth Electronics
- Placement training by Infosys
- Entrepreneurship Cell and
- Companies in the Incubation Centre (Dvizira, Design Infuse etc.)
- Open Source Lab (OSL) for project development
- MATLAB Licenses for all students. MATLAB is a platform that engineers use to analyze data, develop algorithms, and create models.
FACILITATING UNIVERSITY-INDUSTRY COLLABORATION
VVCE has current tie-ups with various companies like Infosys, IBM, HP, Sankalp Group, Brigade Group and many more. It is also tied-up with others organisations such as Princeton Review, Wurth Electronics, IEEE, ACM, SMIE and CL educate. The training and placement department works in close co-ordination with the Industry Relations Executives and the Department Placement Coordinators (DPC) which comprises of both students and faculty members nominated from individual departments. Faculties are also encouraged to build their network off-campus by attending workshops conducted in various industries and teaching and sharing their experience with the students.
ENGAGING WITH REGIONAL AND LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS
The college has always encouraged both it’s students and faculties for developmental efforts towards the society. Few of projects that the students and faculties are working on are traffic control, agricultural related and also device for the physically challenged. Various other research activities and papers are being worked on by students and faculties.
The college has always encouraged it's students with financial assistance through Scholarships to support their educational expenses.
The students of VVCE have developed projects like 'Automated Wheelchair with Gesture Control' and 'Eco friendly Refrigerators' and 'Designed & Implemented a restroom for the physically challenged' and others to help the society. The college also houses a unit of NSS, NCC, Red Cross, Rotaract Club, and Youth for Seva (YFS) to help encourage selfless societal acts among its students.
Recently the college has even adopted a small village by the name Hirikyathanahalli's with the aim of improving the infrastructure and the lifestyles of the people living there.