Priorities:Kakinada Institute of Engineering & Technology Student Priorities
- 1 POINT AT ISSUE: COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- 2 POINT AT ISSUE: STUDENT CLUBS
- 3 POINT AT ISSUE: RECOGNISING SKILLS
- 4 POINT AT ISSUE: AVAILABILITY OF MAKERSPACE FOR EVERYONE
- 5 POINT AT ISSUE : NO SUSTAINABILITY IN ROUTINE ACADEMIC SCHEDULES
- 6 POINT AT ISSUE : STRESSFULL SCHEDULE OF COMPLETING SYLLABUS
- 7 POINT AT ISSUE : LACK OF COMMUNITY NETWORK
- 8 POINT AT ISSUE : LACK OF APPLICATION METHODOLOGY
- 9 Related Links
POINT AT ISSUE: COMMUNICATION SKILLS
The buzz word in every campus is communication. For students, communication is a vital life skill. A student must develop his/her communication skills to acquire benefits in all aspects of his/her life. Now-a-days, every opportunity's arrival and existence span is completely dependent upon communication skills. To start a business, to acquire a job, to avail education at reputed schools, students must have to be proficient in communication skills. Good communication is the heart of this fast growing world.
But Students are lacking in achieving good standards in communication skills. Schools are planning to train students in technical and academic concepts. But communication skills and soft skills aren't majorly focussed and included in academic schedules.
Schools must focus on communication and soft skills training by including them in the regular academic schedules, so that student might excel in his/her professional as well as personal life.
Our campus students are facing certain problems regarding communication and soft skills. While speaking to them we observed that students are facing different obstacles like some are poor in language, some are poor in vocabulary, some are unable to maintain good and confident body language, and some in other things.
So, by gathering all the complications and ideas from students, we came to one stand and framed some solution ideas that are well-suited to the campus ecosystem. We have cross-checked all the pros and cons in respect to the solution ideas.
The solution ideas are like all the students and all the things related to communication and soft skills are to be gathered under one roof. There should be a systematic approach and a committee should be involved in full-on working mode regarding this aspect.
- The entire process should be implemented in the campus under a long-term vision.
- Awareness have to be created among students regarding this committee and students have to join this group and keep on increasing in count.
- The authority should be passed on to upcoming students to continue the solution idea's sustainability.
- The team have to organise many number of events, guest lectures, workshops, seminars, tests, training, implements rules and keep working on communication and soft skills development among students.
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF:
We interpreted our solution idea to students, faculty champions, campus advisors, and some authorities. After gathering their feedback and protocols, with some minor changes we have made a clear and simple prototype basing on the solution idea. We got the approval from campus authorities regarding this prototype.
The prototype will be running on setting up COMMUNICATION SKILLS DEPARTMENT in the campus which will have committee members like Principal, HOD, Admins, and Students. All the communication and soft skills activities will be under the control of this department. This department will make sure that each and every student is good at communication and soft skills concept. This helps to maintain students communication standards in long-run vision.
POINT AT ISSUE: STUDENT CLUBS
- Students want to excel in different fields rather than academics. They will be having too many innovative ideas to express and share, they want to interact with many people who are interested in the same field as they are.
- They want to grow in their passion along with education but failing to do so. This is because they are unable to gather at one place. They are not given any guidance on the aspects they are interested in.
- Students are very much interested in organising events but they doesn't know where to start and how to start. So, they are staying calm without expressing their views and thoughts.
- They couldn’t succeed in building a network with students of other colleges and share things with them.
- This is because there are no gatherings among students. There are no group workplaces for them which results in innovative minds to blunt minds.
We have discussed with all the students regarding this and they have shared their views and on thoughts on this thing. We gathered all their views and framed out some points that are need to be implemented to bring desired change in the campus ecosystem.
- Students are to be given the freedom to choose the aspect they are interested in and gather into groups.
- They have to become extroverts from being introverts to experience the complete essence of change.
- They need to be more explorative and able to lead a team. Interaction have to be developed among themselves and with others.
- Management will have to maintain keen interest in making the above things happen.
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF:
We have gone through a lot of brainstorming and came up with a practical solution idea and made a good prototype for it by gathering feedback from students, faculty champions, and authorities and they have approved to implement the prototype.
STUDENT CLUBS are set-up in the campus. Students join in any of the club they are interested in and excel in their respective fields. They share their ideas in the clubs, organise events under clubs, improve networking with other colleges, and carry out relatable activities in the clubs that leads To increased health of campus ecosystem.
POINT AT ISSUE: RECOGNISING SKILLS
The common complication that every student faces is being unrecognised. He/she will be having many skills to show up but fails to get recognition. If their skills are recognised, they might get closer to excellent opportunities and appreciations. They can go as interns to many reputed companies through showcasing their skill set.
Students are having very good skill set in technical fields, photography, artistic fields, web designing, and many other fields but they are left out at bottom level and couldn’t reach out to desirable levels because they are not having proper platform to put up their skills.
To get better in their respective fields and shine up their skill set, their skills need to be assessed and analysed which is not happening in this routine schedules.
We went to students in our campus and spoke to them regarding this thing. They came up with many other things which are turned out to be some add-ons to this aspect.
In our thought process, we got stuck at one point, which is digitalisation.
- Their skills are to be gathered in a digitalised way. Every student skills should be visible to each and everyone on the campus and he/she need to be assessed by them.
- Opportunities are to be provided to students according to their skills in different fields.
- These things should be monitored by student leaders, faculty champions, and authorities of the campus.
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF:
Basing on the above strategy, we have made brief prototype considering all the constraints and feedback from students, faculty champions, and authorities. We have got the approval from authorities to make this happen in the campus for students welfare.
A CAMPUS WEBSITE is designed and promotions are made among students regarding this website. In this website, students can choose any field of their choice and present their skills over there. For example, students interested in photography can post the pictures they have clicked and in the same way students interested in coding can compile and run their code there itself. Their skills will be exposed to all the people in the campus and they can rate those skills on SKILLS ASSESSMENT BOARD over there. The person with highest rating will be provided with excellent opportunities in his concerned field.
POINT AT ISSUE: AVAILABILITY OF MAKERSPACE FOR EVERYONE
Makerspace is a key place where students can speak out their minds, share their ideas, their knowledge with others on different concepts. Every college should have a makerspace to encourage youngsters ideas and thinkings.
But campuses which are having multiple sub-campuses will be having makerspace at one sub-campus and students of neighbouring sub-campuses are facing certain problems like unavailability of makerspace due to some rules and protocols.
Students have to take permissions often from authorities to go to neighbouring sub-campus for availing makerspace, which is becoming difficult for students on a regular basis.
This is becoming an issue for students to share their ideas and make prototypes for them.
We spoke to students to gather the complication related to this issue. We brainstormed for reaching out to form some solution ideas that are well-suited to the campus ecosystem. We have considered and cross-checked all the pros and cons in respect to the solution ideas.
- There must be a team constantly working in makerspace to gather students information, who will be attending makerspace from neighbouring sub-campuses.
- A protocol must be handed over to security people regarding this makerspace. That is, they must know that this makerspace is for everyone and students will be attending makerspace often.
By this, we can solve the problem of makerspace unavailability.
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF:
Basing on one innovative solution idea we formed and feedback from our campus people, we have made an easily understandable and accessible prototype to solve this problem.
We spoke to students, faculty champions, and authorities regarding this solution idea for makerspace and they have approved our prototype and gave permission to implement it in the campus.
A REGISTRATION DESK is set-up for MAKERSPACE and students will be given membership cards. Those who will show the membership card to security people, they will be allowed to makerspace without any letter writings (or) permissions from authorities, which helps every student to open up his/her mind to welcome innovative ideas.
POINT AT ISSUE : NO SUSTAINABILITY IN ROUTINE ACADEMIC SCHEDULES
- Maintaining a sustained regular or even predictable schedule in the academic of students is very important.
- Letting students know what they have to do and when to accomplish it allows students to get everything.
- Students should accordingly schedule their academic classes to avoid wastage of time.
- Every student should be provided with the information about the weekly or monthly schedule of conducting the classes.
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF :
When we spoke to the lots of students , faculty and administrators at our institution and depending on their feedback ,we, with the consultation of the academic ad visor, we came up with a new prototype which helps the students to predict their academic schedules and plan accordingly in advance which eventually helps in maintaining the stability in routine academic schedules disturbance.And our campus organising some leadership activities.similarly for acadamics there will be one student leader who schedule the timetables,classes,tracks the students performance.
POINT AT ISSUE : STRESSFULL SCHEDULE OF COMPLETING SYLLABUS
- A growing problem in today's educational system is that students are more stressed than ever.
- Every Institution is stressing faculty and students to complete the syllabus well-in-advance.
- Time and Time again many complications have been made against the Educational System which we are having now-a-days.
- The educational system which is more inclined towards memorization and takes long systematic study hours.
- Leaving less time for recreational activities and socialization which is an essential part of the development of a child
- Everyday,6.23 students commit suicide due to peer pressure,there must be something wrong that we are not understanding.
- We believe that stressful completion of syllabus will affect student's academic carrier.
- There should be an academic plan before the beginning of an academic year.
- We should not stick over to one particular plan or a schedule because we may have different unexpected lectures or events which will disturb the regular or ongoing plan of completion of syllabus
- So we should also have an alternate schedule to complete the syllabus without stressing both the academicians and students.
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF :
When we spoke to the lots of students ,faculty and administrators at our Institution and depending on their feedback ,we with the consultation of the academic adviser, came up with a new prototype which helps the students and faculty to predict their academic schedule in advance which ultimately resulted in a stress-less schedule for completion of syllabus.And our campus has organised some brain refershning activities like meditation,quiz,jam,news reading,memory games,these activities are going on in the campus everyday
POINT AT ISSUE : LACK OF COMMUNITY NETWORK
- As we all know every student faces this problem of lack of community network.
- They might be not knowing what to do after their studies
- If they know also they are not knowing in what way they have to choose.
- Everyone has this dailama situation.
- As we came across this major problem of lack community network
- It is true that if we can’t get access to things we want to do
- There will be problem regarding academics and career opportunities
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF :
- Then we thought and came up with a idesa
- Actually it is our surreal idea to make a website with all the accessibility of the information students wants.
- So we spoke to our college management and made this thing to make it possible
- This website contains
- ALUMNI OF OUR COLLEGE
- GUEST LECTURERS
- CHIEF GUESTS
- TECHNICAL INFO
- EVENTS GOING AROUND
All the info of the particular people will be available in this website.An event called SARADHYA is started by the college in the year 2017 which mainly aims for alumini connect,through this our students had the opportunity to interact with the high profiled people in the society and have their suggestions.
POINT AT ISSUE : LACK OF APPLICATION METHODOLOGY
- Students getting more focused on theoretical knowledge.
- They lack practical knowledge.
- Not exposed to solving real world problems.
- We found every individual’s major concentration is on their mission but lack guidance due to lack of community network.
- Through interaction with every student in the college,we have come up with several solutions and ideas along with few more interconnecting problems.
- We have thought of providing space for ignition point in the college for the students who have innovative ideas to be developed.
- Management is providing us support to develop our idea of ignition point.
- Through interaction with other institute fellows, we brought up guidance for student developers to build their products that is StartupVillage.co
HOW WE SWEPT IT OFF :
- For converging various flavours of innovative ideas to build a complete project can be swept off at ignition point.
- startupVillage.co is an incubator centre, which helps student developers to build their products selected mainly through screening process from which many students might be taking interest to take challenges.
- Innovation boardto foster events and conversations of innovations.
- Some basic resources that exist in the college were provided to the students like space to create,technical assistance,Goodies like paper sheets,a marker,board to expose their ideas, expert outsource faculty.Recently we have started the the makerspace to uncover the innovative minds and creative thoughts of students.which helps to foster their thinking.
CAMPUS LANDSCAPE CANVAS WIKI PAGE
STUDENT PRIORITIES PROTOTYPING VIDEO
STAKEHOLDER MEETING VIDEO